Media Releases...

Have A Very Safe and Happy Holiday Season

Have A Very Safe and Happy Holiday Season

Here are some facts about home holiday fires One of every three home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems. When Christmas trees catch fire, they are more likely to result in a serious fire. On average, one of every 40 reported home structure Christmas tree fires results in a death compared to an […]

December 24, 2015 | By | Reply More
Quick Action of Passerby Helps To Prevent A Large Scale Fire in Abandoned Building

Quick Action of Passerby Helps To Prevent A Large Scale Fire in Abandoned Building

Three engines, a truck company, a rescue company, an Incident Commander and a Rapid Intervention Team were dispatched to the area of Manhattan Street and Pacific Street for a fire in a building this evening. According to a 911 caller, who was a pedestrian on Dock Street, there was a small fire in the second […]

December 22, 2015 | By More
Quick Action of Firefighters Prevents Spread of Fire

Quick Action of Firefighters Prevents Spread of Fire

Quick actions by Stamford Firefighters prevented the spread of a fire in the walls at 637 Cove Road tonight. A full box assignment of three engine companies, a ladder company, a rescue company, an Incident Commander and a Rapid Intervention Team were dispatched to the two story condominium complex after a resident called and reported […]

November 23, 2015 | By More

The SFD in The News...

Off-Duty Stamford Firefighter Rocco Terenzio Helped Rescue A Greenwich Homeowner After Explosion

Off-Duty Stamford Firefighter Rocco Terenzio Helped Rescue A Greenwich Homeowner After Explosion

Off-duty Stamford firefighter Rocco Terenzio helped rescue a homeowner Monday after an explosion in the man’s garage.  The explosion set the house on fire. Way to go Rocco! Fire, explosion rock Northridge home

March 10, 2015 | By More
Pet dog saved in Stamford condo fire

Pet dog saved in Stamford condo fire

Here is an article about last night’s condo fire in which Firefighters were able to rescue a dog.   Pet dog saved in Stamford condo fire

January 30, 2015 | By | Reply More
Shippan chimney fire drives residents from home

Shippan chimney fire drives residents from home

An article published today about last nights Chimney Fire on Shippan Point. Shippan chimney fire drives residents from home

January 29, 2015 | By | Reply More

Public Service Announcements...

Why you have less time to escape a house fire today than 30 years ago

Why you have less time to escape a house fire today than 30 years ago

Research shows that 30 years ago, you had about 17 minutes to escape a house fire. Today, you have only 3 or 4 minutes. TODAY national investigative correspondent Jeff Rossen conducts a dramatic demonstration that shows why, and how you should prepare. http://www.today.com/video/why-you-have-less-time-to-escape-a-house-fire-today-than-30-years-ago-601680451516

January 19, 2016 | By More
Have A Very Safe and Happy Holiday Season

Have A Very Safe and Happy Holiday Season

Here are some facts about home holiday fires One of every three home Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical problems. When Christmas trees catch fire, they are more likely to result in a serious fire. On average, one of every 40 reported home structure Christmas tree fires results in a death compared to an […]

December 24, 2015 | By | Reply More
A Firefighters View of Fighting a Fire (Using a Helmet Camera)

A Firefighters View of Fighting a Fire (Using a Helmet Camera)

Have you every wondered what it is like to be a firefighter attacking a fire from the inside of a house?  The video below was not shot in Stamford, but does represent is a good handling of a routine “room and contents” fire with some extension. The house is a vacant 2 story residential building under […]

January 19, 2015 | By | Reply More

Letters From The Community...

Thanking the Crew of the East Side Fire Station (Shippan)

Thanking the Crew of the East Side Fire Station (Shippan)

To the editor: I would like to thank the firefighters from the East Side Station who responded to my call of downed and sparking wires during the hurricane. The response was immediate and they examined the interior and exterior of the house to make sure that no fire had started where the wires were sparking and popping outside […]

August 31, 2011 | By | Reply More
Stamford & Glenbrook Firefighters Working Together, Help Stamford Residents

Stamford & Glenbrook Firefighters Working Together, Help Stamford Residents

Here is a great example how career members of the  Stamford Fire Department worked hand-in-hand with the volunteers of the Glenbrook Fire Department to make a difference for the citizens of Stamford.  It can work and it does work!

June 23, 2010 | By | Reply More

The History of the SFD

The History of Stamford’s Steam Fire Engines

The History of Stamford’s Steam Fire Engines

During a violent afternoon storm on August 7, 1882, lightning struck the wooden steeple  of the Presbyterian Church and set it afire. The church then was on the north side of Broad St. between Bedford and Summer. Atlantic Hose Co. quickly laid hose to the belfry but hydrant pressure was not sufficient.  The Gulf Stream […]

February 13, 2015 | By | Reply More
December 18, 1874 – Meadow Street Barn Fire

December 18, 1874 – Meadow Street Barn Fire

Below is a an article from the December 18, 1874 Stamford Advocate that tells the story of a barn fire on Meadow Street.  Fire Apparatus from the Atlantic Hose Company needed to be hauled from the center of town to Meadow Street…twice, to roughly the area where U-Haul now stands.  There was no mention of […]

February 1, 2015 | By | Reply More
March 1913 – Spot, The Luther Street Station Mascot Is Killed

March 1913 – Spot, The Luther Street Station Mascot Is Killed

The article below was published in a March 1913 edition of The Advocate. It tells the sad story of how the Spot, the Luther Street Station Dalmatian was run over by an apparatus being backed into the fire station.  There were two motorized apparatus purchased in the years just prior to Spots death.  The one […]

January 31, 2015 | By | Reply More

Department News

Firefighter Richard (Rick) Saunders Official Department Obituary

Firefighter Richard (Rick) Saunders Official Department Obituary

Written by Interim Fire Chief Trevor Roach It is with deep sorrow that I must report the passing of Firefighter Richard Saunders, a member of our family, please keep his wife and family in your hearts. Firefighter Richard Saunders, age 52, passed away at 0900 Hours Saturday morning from complications due to cancer. Rick was born […]

November 29, 2015 | By More
Stamford Fire Chief Peter Brown To Retire

Stamford Fire Chief Peter Brown To Retire

Assistant Chief Trevor Roach to Assume Role of Fire Chief on December 1st Mayor David Martin has announced that Fire Chief Peter Brown will be retiring as Chief of the Stamford Fire Department at a press conference today.  His retirement well be effective December 1, 2015. “For his more than four-decade career, Chief Brown has given Stamford residents distinguished […]

October 14, 2015 | By More
Stamford Professional Firefighters Annual 9/11 Ceremony

Stamford Professional Firefighters Annual 9/11 Ceremony

Once again Stamford Professional Firefighters will be sponsoring a 9/11 ceremony, honoring those who lost their lives on that tragic day. The ceremony will be short and respectful, lasting about 20-25 minutes . It will be held on Thursday, September 11 at 1900 hours (7pm)  in front of Station 5, 1620 Washington Blvd. As in the past, […]

September 4, 2014 | By | Reply More

Other Recent Posts

Roof Fire at Hedge Fund Headquarters Destroys AC Unit and Damages Building

Roof Fire at Hedge Fund Headquarters Destroys AC Unit and Damages Building

At 8:13 Saturday morning, Stamford’s Combined Dispatch Center began receiving multiple calls, reporting heavy black smoke coming from the roof of 72 Cummings Point Road. Some callers reported occupants fleeing the building. A first alarm assignment of three engines, a ladder truck, a rescue company, a Rapid Intervention Team and an Incident Commander responded. The […]

November 7, 2015 | By More
Carbon Monoxide Mishap in Occupied Building Averted

Carbon Monoxide Mishap in Occupied Building Averted

Stamford Firefighters from the Woodside Fire Station, Engine Company 5, responded to 293 Bridge Street for a carbon monoxide alarm investigation. On arrival, the Firefighters tested the atmosphere in the attached residential apartment complex and found extraordinary amounts of the lethal gas in the apartment. Additional fire apparatus from the Woodside, Westside and Central Fire […]

October 27, 2015 | By More
Quick Response Minimizes Fire Damage To Multi-Family House on West Side

Quick Response Minimizes Fire Damage To Multi-Family House on West Side

STAMFORD – Stamford firefighters responded to a one-alarm fire in an occupied multiple family dwelling at 106 West Broad Street, early this morning. Arriving units found a heavy smoke condition in the rear of the structure originating from the basement. The rescue company performed a primary search of the structure and found no trapped occupants. […]

October 18, 2015 | By More