• Get Your Reservations in for “Stamford’s Firefighting Heroes”

    By Published On: March 27, 2018Categories: Media Releases, The SFD In HistoryTags: Views: 459

    You are cordially invited to the Stamford History Center (formally the Stamford Historical Society) gala benefit dinner in honor of "Stamford's Firefighting Heroes" on Thursday, April 27, 2018  The event will be held at the "The Waters Edge at Giovanni's", 2748 Boston Post Road, Darien, CT (which is on the City line with Darien). The cost of the [...]

  • The History of Stamford’s Steam Fire Engines

    By Published On: February 13, 2015Categories: The SFD In HistoryTags: Views: 1011

    During a violent afternoon storm on August 7, 1882, lightning struck the wooden steeple  of the Presbyterian Church and set it afire. The church then was on the north side of Broad St. between Bedford and Summer. Atlantic Hose Co. quickly laid hose to the belfry but hydrant pressure was not sufficient.  The Gulf Stream [...]

  • December 18, 1874 – Meadow Street Barn Fire

    By Published On: February 1, 2015Categories: The SFD In HistoryViews: 515

    Below is a an article from the December 18, 1874 Stamford Advocate that tells the story of a barn fire on Meadow Street.  Fire Apparatus from the Atlantic Hose Company needed to be hauled from the center of town to Meadow Street...twice, to roughly the area where U-Haul now stands.  There was no mention of [...]

  • March 1913 – Spot, The Luther Street Station Mascot Is Killed

    By Published On: January 31, 2015Categories: The SFD In HistoryViews: 545

    The article below was published in a March 1913 edition of The Advocate. It tells the sad story of how the Spot, the Luther Street Station Dalmatian was run over by an apparatus being backed into the fire station.  There were two motorized apparatus purchased in the years just prior to Spots death.  The one [...]

  • Captain, He Bought Eggs… A Book By Retired Chief Fire Marshal Carmine Speranza

    By Published On: January 29, 2015Categories: The SFD In HistoryTags: Views: 492

    In 2001, retired Chief Fire Marshal Carmine Speranza published a collection of true stories with black and white photographs about his first 10 years on the line as a Stamford, CT firefighter.  The stories took place mostly in the 1970s.   It was called "Captain, He Bought Eggs". The book plays an important role in [...]

  • 1885 Borough of Stamford Fire Districts, Hydrants & Water Pipes

    By Published On: January 2, 2015Categories: The SFD In HistoryViews: 445

      Below is a scanned in map of the 1885 Borough of Stamford, showing the fire districts, hydrants, water pipes and other important landmarks.  You will also see Borough roads as they existed in the old city.

  • The Story Behind The 1936 Line of Duty Death of Thomas J Meehan

    By Published On: January 1, 2015Categories: The SFD In HistoryViews: 415

    Thomas J Meehan, 45 years old and was appointed to the SFD on July 10, 1918.  He was assigned to SFD Station No. 2, when he died in the line of duty on April 6, 1932.  His death was a result of being ejected off the apparatus and through the glass window of a business at the [...]

  • 12/31/1998 – The Vacant Burdick School Fire

    By Published On: December 29, 2014Categories: Photo Gallery, The SFD In HistoryViews: 805

    The vacant Burdick School was at the corner of Grove and Forest Streets.  The school burned decades earlier, but this New Year Eve fire required the demolition of the building. At the time of the fire, a small part of the building was being used for storage by the Board of Education. Photographers: Frank Belfari [...]

  • The Rippowam… Stamford’s First Pumping Apparatus

    By Published On: December 28, 2014Categories: The SFD In HistoryTags: Views: 473

    The Rippowam as it sat in the "relic" room of the Central Fire Station Stamford first pumping apparatus was known as the "Rippowam".  Pictured above, the "Rippowam" survived the early 1900's and was on display in the "Relic" room on the third floor on the new Central Fire Station which was built in [...]