Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

At 22:56 on May 7, 2024, the Stamford Combined 911 & Dispatch Center began receiving multiple reports of a train crash and/or fire near the East Main Street rail overpasses in Stamford. First responders swiftly mobilized to address the emergency.

Upon arrival, first responders encountered a diesel engine engulfed in heavy flames located just south and west of the bridge, with freight cars positioned on the bridge. The train operator reported a large explosion, prompting an immediate halt of the train. 

Fortunately, there were no injuries to any train personnel or firefighters, nor were there any injuries reported among MTA personnel.

Stamford Police facilitated traffic control measures, closing East Main Street and Myrtle Avenue to accommodate Fire Department activity. Initial response efforts involved three engines, one truck company, one rescue company, one incident commander, and a RIT Team. An additional engine was later called in to bolster water supply capabilities.

Given the diesel and oils involved, the Stamford Fire Hazardous Materials Team was summoned to the scene to address any leaks and to contain the runoff. The State of Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection and Metro North Fire and Hazmat Teams were also requested to the scene.

Firefighting operations were briefly delayed to ensure all rail traffic was halted and power to the overhead catenary lines was deactivated. Stamford EMS stood by throughout the incident to provide medical support.

Stamford Mechanical Division deployed a light truck to assist with illumination during the ongoing investigation by the MTA, which commenced promptly upon confirmation that fire had been extinguished.

The incident involved a freight train comprising four diesel engines and numerous freight cars. Firefighter operations were initially conducted from both sides of the tracks, with the Command Post established near Crystal Street and East Main Street.

The MTA Fire Chief arrived on the scene at 00:06 to coordinate further response efforts and oversee the ongoing investigation. While all train traffic through the area was briefly halted, no injuries to firefighters or MTA personnel were reported.

Credit for Video and all photos: Stamford Fire Department

Link To Brief First Arriving Engine Video:

Incident Details (if applicable):

Incident Number: 24-04548
Incident Location: East Main Street & Mrytle Avenue
Incident Date: 2024-05-07 23:00:00.0


Fire Captain, Public Information Officer Philip Hayes
(203) 977-5600


Train Engine Fire Briefly Disrupts Rail Service As Firefighters Work Quickly To Extinguish The Fire

Posted: May 8, 2024
About the Author: Captain Philip Hayes
Captain Hayes is a 31-year veteran of the Stamford Fire Department. He is currently assigned to the East Side Fire Station #4 on Shippan Avenue. In addition to his regular Fire Officer duties, he is a Public Relations Officer, the developer of the website and serves on the Departments' IT Team. He is also an avid fan of Fire Department history.
View Count: 1,260
Categories: Media Releases