Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Stamford, CT.,  Friday, 12/13/19: At 5:30 pm a 9-1-1 call was received from the Stop & Shop Supermarket, located at 2200 Bedford Street, reporting a fire in a refrigerator door. The City of Stamford Fire Department responded and, upon arrival found a fire in the door frame of a walk-in freezer. The fire alarm was immediately activated and the occupants were evacuated by firefighters and store management. The fire in the freezer door was quickly extinguished with no extension beyond the frame and the unit was shutdown. The City Fire Marshal's Office was called to the scene for cause and origin determination. It was determined that an electrical heat strip, which was mounted on the freezer's doorframe, had shorted out and ignited the wood frame. As the incident occurred in a food establishment the City Health Department also responded and, after their inspection was complete, the store was reopened to the public. There were no reported injuries. A total of four engine companies, one truck company, the heavy rescue, and duty deputy chief responded with a total of 27 firefighters and officers. The final fire department unit left the scene at 6:50 pm.


No Offical Photos Available

Incident Details (if applicable):

Incident Number: 19-10859
Incident Location: 2200 Bedford Street, Stamford, CT. 06905
Incident Date: 2019-12-13 17:30:00.0


Deputy Fire Chief Patrick Tripodi
(203) 977-5600


Freezer Fire Evacuates Downtown Supermarket

Posted: December 13, 2019
View Count: 271
Categories: Media Releases