Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

At 1838 hours on Saturday evening, two engines, a rescue company and an Incident Commander responded with Stamford Emergency Medical Service to Givens Avenue for a man with his hand caught in a chimney flue.  The man was cleaning up a construction area when a 5-foot piece of unsupported chimney came down and pinned the man’s arm against the shaftway.  Crews from Engine 4 and Rescue 1 first stabilized the chimney and then dismantled it to free the man’s arm.  A tourniquet was placed on the man’s arm to prevent health implications from Compartment Syndrome, as there was a substantial crush injury.  Once the man was freed, Stamford EMS took over medical care and then transported him to Stamford Hospital

Incident Details (if applicable):

Incident Number: 19-0008834
Incident Location: 104 Givens Avenue
Incident Date: 2019-10-12 18:40:00.0


Captain David Harriott
(203) 977-5600


Technical Rescue – Construction entrapment

Posted: October 13, 2019
About the Author: Captain Philip Hayes
Captain Hayes is a 31-year veteran of the Stamford Fire Department. He is currently assigned to the East Side Fire Station #4 on Shippan Avenue. In addition to his regular Fire Officer duties, he is a Public Relations Officer, the developer of the website and serves on the Departments' IT Team. He is also an avid fan of Fire Department history.
View Count: 382
Categories: Media Releases