Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

Stamford, CT. (March 8, 2019): A smokey oven fire struck a downtown restaurant this afternoon. At 5:09 pm an automatic fire alarm was received for 74 West Park Place reporting an activated smoke detector. City firefighters responded with two engines, one truck, and the on duty deputy chief and, upon arrival, found a heavy smoke condition in the Acuario Restaurant on the first floor of the two story building. An additional two engines and the heavy rescue company were then called to the scene. The restaurant had already been evacuated by employees who also directed firefighters to the rear kitchen where they found that a grease fire had broken out in a charcoal-fired rotisserie oven causing heavy smoke and breaking out a viewing window on the oven door. High heat and smoke was encountered in the kitchen. The fire had partially been extinguished by employees using portable extingushers prior to escaping the building. A hoseline was stretched as a precaution and firefighters used portable extinguishers on the remaining fire and ventilated smoke from the business. The kitchen was checked for fire extension beyond the oven with none being found however moderate smoke damage was found throughout the restaurant. There were no reported injuries. The city fire marshal's office was called to the scene and determined that the fire was a result of grease igniting within the oven causing heavy fire inside and pushing dense smoke into the kitchen and serving areas. The city health department and Stamford Police also responded to the scene. A total of 27 firefighters responded with the last unit leaving the scene at 6:05 pm.

No Official Photos Available.

Incident Details (if applicable):

Incident Number: 19-2061
Incident Location: 74 West Park Place, Stamford, CT. 06901
Incident Date: 2019-03-08 17:09:00.0


Deputy Fire Chief Patrick Tripodi
(203) 977-5600


Commercial Oven Fire Clears Downtown Restaurant

Posted: March 8, 2019
View Count: 390
Categories: Media Releases