Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!


STAMFORD — A Hilton hotel driver escaped unscathed after being trapped in his van Sunday morning by fallen wires caused by a transformer fire Sunday morning on Greenwich Avenue near 1 Stamford Place, Stamford Police Lt. Sean Cooney said.

The fire was caused by a squirrel that became trapped in the transformer equipment, Connecticut Light & Power spokesman Mitch Gross said.

A group of about 40 customers were left without power until 8 p.m., while another 940 customers were without power from about 9:30 a.m. to 12 noon, Gross said.

The fire closed Greenwich Avenue between Pulaski Street and Richmond Hill Road, and the Interstate 95 northbound Exit 7 off-ramp for about 90 minutes, Cooney said.

Though the driver was uninjured, he was taken to Stamford Hospital as a precaution where he was examined and released, Cooney said.

Stamford transformer fire traps driver

Posted: October 26, 2009
About the Author: Captain Philip Hayes
Captain Hayes is a 31-year veteran of the Stamford Fire Department. He is currently assigned to the East Side Fire Station #4 on Shippan Avenue. In addition to his regular Fire Officer duties, he is a Public Relations Officer, the developer of the website and serves on the Departments' IT Team. He is also an avid fan of Fire Department history.
View Count: 333
Categories: In The NewsTags: