Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

4 Men rescued from cold water of Long Island Sound. 1 man has died, 3 others remain in critical condition.


STAMFORD, CT (Sunday, April 17, 2022) – At 10:21 AM on Easter Sunday, Stamford firefighters, Stamford Police, and Stamford EMS units were alerted to a report of a possible small boat in distress in Long Island Sound off of Shippan Point in Stamford.

22 Stamford firefighters responded as part of a marine rescue response, which included the department's fire boat and on-duty SCUBA divers. Multiple Stamford Police units, the Stamford Marine Division, and a Stamford EMS ambulance and Paramedic Supervisor also responded to the initial call for help.

Initial information provided to first-responders stated that three individuals were off of Shippan Point in a small 12' boat and were not able to return to shore due to strong northwesterly winds and rough seas. The boat was being carried by the tide and wind away from Stamford when the last cell phone call was made to a family member from one of those onboard the small vessel.

First responders were hampered in determining the exact location of the boat due to a language barrier and conflicting initial reports of the boat's last known location.

Additional marine resources were also dispatched from the Darien Police Department, Noroton (Darien) Fire Department, the Greenwich Police Department, and the United States Coast Guard. 

Fire Dispatchers at the Stamford Emergency Communication's Center personnel were able to use the caller's cell phone number to access the Carbyne 911 cellular tracking software to pinpoint the last known location of one the caller's from the vessel. The Carbyne software was able to move fire and police rescue boats to this area. Once in the area, debris believed to be from the boat was located in the water. All 4 police and fire boats then were able to locate 4 men in the 3-4 foot swells.

2 of the men in pulled from the water were unconscious and unresponsive, the 2 others were both semi-responsive. The Norton fire boat brought two of the injured men to awaiting ambulances at a shore location in Darien. The Stamford fire boat and Stamford Police boat each brought in one of the injured boaters to awaiting Stamford EMS ambulances at West Beach in Stamford.

3 of the injured men were transported to Stamford Hospital. The 4th man removed was transported to Norwalk Hospital. 

One of the injured transported to Stamford Hospital has been pronounced dead after lengthy life saving efforts were made. An additional man remains in very critical condition at Stamford Hospital. Two additional men remain in critical, but stable condition; one at Stamford Hospital and one at Norwalk Hospital.

Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) Conservation Police are handling the investigation into this incident.

Agencies Responding:

Stamford Fire Department

Stamford Police Department

Stamford Emergency Medical Services

Norton Fire Department, Darien, Connecticut

Greenwich Police Department

United States Coast Guard

Norwalk Hospital Emergency Medical Services

Darien, Post 53, Emergency Medical Services

Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Conservation Police

Photo of Carbyne software at Stamford Emergency Communication's Center indicating the last known location of one of the occupant's cell phone. The use of this software was critical in located the 4 men in the rough seas off of Stamford:



Incident Details (if applicable):

Incident Number: 22-03444
Incident Location: Long Island Sound, West of Shippan Point, Stamford, CT
Incident Date: 2022-04-17 10:21:00.0


Deputy Fire Chief & Shift Commander Matthew Palmer
(203) 977-5600



Posted: April 17, 2022
About the Author: Deputy Chief Matt Palmer
View Count: 1,533
Categories: Media Releases